Buddha-Mettā UK

Buddha-Mettā UK
Puja (chanting and meditation) 5am & 7pm, Dana (meal offering) 10:30am.

05 November 2012

Bubbles of Wisdom: Reflections on a Day Retreat at Harston

I think I have waited a long time to hear words like those of Luang Poh Shudiro. I first had a glimpse of Luang Poh walking along the A10 while I was driving into Cambridge some months ago, a sight most unexpected in that vicinity. There was gaiety and serenity in his walk, his saffron robes bright in the midday sun. Now I know that not only can he walk the walk, he can also the talk as well!

The day retreat was like joining a group of friends. All pomp and ceremony were abandoned at the entrance of the Vihara, along with the rows of shoes. The temple, still a work in progress, has a nice relaxed atmosphere, and time went by amongst talks, meditation, lunch, with questions and answers at the end. Without too much success, I tried to show some flare with my questions, to show some wit. However, why is it that asking so called unskilful questions is the one skill to be picked up first? I am new to Buddhism and meditation, but luckily the monks maintain that there is not much you can do wrong in the Temple as far as rules go. Luang Poh Shudiro, as well as the
younger monk, Than B, showed genuine warmth and wisdom, and were happy to joke about their own human frailties. They made everybody welcome, and most found the place a peaceful refuge. Outside, the autumn trees had tucked themselves in a blanket of leaves, ready for the winter. In the Temple, Luang Poh Shudiro and Than B’s teachings created a little cosy bubble of wisdom, and all the participants shared that feeling.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, amazing job! This was the information I required.

    ReplyDelete